Friday 5 October 2012

Guest post by Mycroft

It may seem that I have been somewhat derelict in my duties as a "guest blogger" on my brother's esteemed weblog (i.e., this one). And indeed I have not posted anything at all this year. And it's already October.

And yet, there's been so much to do. The budget. Immigration policy. The deficit. And the honourable leader of her majesty's loyal opposition keeps existing, which is really too vexing.

But that's just excuses. Truth is, if I visit Maurice's weblog, I end up reading his prose. And that just drives me to tears. And not in a good way, I can tell you.

But here I am ... currently in London, in Maurice's somewhat spectacular new Greenwich house. I was initially confused as he insists on calling it a "hosue". Did he mean Castle Hosue in Hereford? Or Hosue Nature House Yamabiko in Japan? Turns out it was just a typo. Who'd have thought?

Eh, it's been good to be in London. Been in America for a few months. At least they know how to drive on the right side of the road here, which is to say the left hand side. And meetings with people from ... certain agencies ... relating to ... trade ... have gone well. Despite Maurice leaking my text messages to him (lucky I tell him little of real importance...). And it's been good to be away from the office for a bit. Don't have Julia constantly popping by with new bits of work for me. Could get used to this!

Oh, and the ENO. Good to be able to go see a few performances. And to call into Berry Bros & Rudd for a bottle or two of something ... such as a few bottles of Haut-Brion. Or maybe some Krug. Perfect!

But ... can't! The budget deficit won't solve itself. And the leader of the opposition is still his usual contrary self. So, will have to go back to Canberra soon. But not this week. Or next week.

No comments: